Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Daryl, one of the year 1 mechanical engineering students taking your class in Critical Thinking and Communicating. I am writing this letter to share more about myself and my past education. I used to study at Singapore Polytechnic and graduated with a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering back in 2022. During this time, I also underwent an internship attachment with ST Engineering Aerospace where I worked on a project involving passenger-to-freighter aircraft conversion. My interest in engineering was sparked at a tender age when I spotted airplanes by the beach and wondered how they were able to fly. From then, I started to watch videos on YouTube about airplanes in hopes of learning more about them. Visiting the airshow and seeing all the upcoming technological advancements in the industry further cemented my decision to further my studies in engineering and pursue aviation as a career.

 I would say that one of my communication strengths is being an active listener. Listening actively is important as it allows us to fully understand the other person. This lets them feel like they are being empathised with and make them feel more comfortable sharing things with us. An example of this would be back when I was serving in national service and had to listen and understand some recruits with adjustment issues when enlisting. Being an active listener made me more approachable and created a safe environment for them to voice out their concerns. One communication weakness I have would probably be a lack of confidence in public speaking situations. I tend to speak rather quickly and avoid eye contact when giving presentations. This is not ideal as it may lead to misunderstandings between me and my audience. My experience in giving presentations back in Polytechnic has built up my confidence however I feel that there is still room for improvement.

My goals for this module would firstly be trying to be more outgoing and confident in terms of public speaking. This module provides plenty of opportunities for me to step out of my comfort zone and I intend to make full use of them. Next, I would also like to pick up more communication skills to be able to express myself better in a professional manner.

I would say what sets me apart is my ability to adapt to different situations. I believe that this would come in extremely handy when it comes to working with others. Being open to feedback allows me to embrace change and engage in constant self-improvement.

I hope that this letter was able to give you a glimpse into a bit about my past experiences and future goals. I look forward to taking your classes and strongly believe that this module experience will be an enjoyable one.

Yours sincerely,

Daryl

Comments

  1. Hi Daryl! It is awesome to read a letter from someone who graduated from SP Aeronautical Engineering.

    I find your letter very insightful as you mentioned your internship attachment and the spark behind your interest for engineering. Active listening and adaptability are qualities I value highly of and I appreciate you have them.

    I can relate to your struggles with public speaking so I'm looking forward to learning with you in class.

    I noticed that you capitalized the words 'critical thinking' and 'communicating.' I believe they should be in lowercase because you are not referring to the module's name. I think uppercase will be suitable if u add the word 'module' behind those words.

    In a nutshell, the letter's content is sufficient and I learn more about you through reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daryl! Thank you for penning down your personal experiences till date. It shows a really great effort in self-improvement. Being aware of your own weaknesses is already a step towards improvement. Keep it up, and I'm sure it'll come into fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daryl, it was a great read, I really liked how you developed an interest in aviation and engineering from a young age.

    "Listening actively is important as it allows us to fully understand the other person. This lets them feel like they are being empathised with and make them feel more comfortable sharing things with us." In my opinion, I find this to be a great communication strength for one to possess. I was amazed by how you linked active listening to communication.

    I hope that you are able to work on being more confident in speaking and I am sure that you will develop more confidence by the end of this module.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Daryl,

    Thank you for your detailed self introduction, it has allowed me to know more about you. It is refreshing to see that your interest in engineering started through curiosity, ultimately, that is what sets engineers apart from normal people, a curious mind. Hope you stay curious throughout your SIT journey and career!

    I am sure that you will achieve the goals you set for yourself for this module.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts